One of the phrases that I will often be heard saying is; “You don’t have a great business without great people”.
A High Performing Team (HPT) is created by building a high-performance team and a high-performance team is created by studying, building, and expecting excellence from all your staff, all of the time.
I have had the opportunity to lead several high performing teams over the years at a number of SME’s and some other well-known brands like Porsche Cars and Harley-Davidson. It’s not easy though – it takes hard work, patience, and a lot of time to create these teams. But what I can say, is that it is so much easier and less time consuming in the end to spend the time and money to build a high performance team than it is to limp along just settling for “the best of a bad bunch.”
So, it’s important that you have the right people in your business, first and foremost, because you don’t have a great business without great people, but there are a few other things that will also help you to achieve a HPT.
- Being or having a great leader with a plan that is shared with all the team and ensuring your team understand how they contribute to this plan in their roles.
- Having a great management team and employee team behind that great leader.
- Expert help and support in the right areas of the business – HR being one of the areas you need expert help and support.
- Time to work on the business and make it work – it won’t happen otherwise!
- A commitment to learn and be open and willing to take advice from the experts you work with, following or implementing their advice being key to your success.
Download our eBook to read our top tips on helping you create a High Performing Team.